Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Snickers


My Bake MS Campaign is working!   I've already raised $225 of the minimum $400 required to ride in this summer's Colorado Bike MS.   Last week another of my fabulous co-workers made a donation.   My question to her:  What do you like?   She said anything with peanut butter.    I searched for some peanut buttery new recipes on Foodbuzz and gave her four options.   This was her choice.  I've never made a nougaty filling in my life, but I'm glad that I did.     


What You Need:
2 cups milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 1/2 cup salted peanuts
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
1  7oz jar of marshmallow cream
1 bag caramels, unwrapped (not a whole lot of options, I think Kraft must have a monopoly, because there was exactly one kind in the candy aisle)
2 tablespoons water

What You Do:
Line your 9x13 pan with foil, spray with cooking spray.  

Using a double boiler (or in my case a metal bowl over a small sauce pan), you're going to melt the ingredients for the bottom layer:  1 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 cup butterscotch chips and 1/4 cup of peanut butter.   Heat and stir until smooth then spread in bottom of pan and pop in the fridge to chill.

Oooh now it's time for the nougat!  Bring to a boil 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup milk in a medium saucepan.   Boil for 5 minutes then remove from heat and add the jar of marshmallow cream and 1/4 cup of peanut butter.   Stir until smooth then spread over the bottom chocolate layer.    Sprinkle the nougat with the peanuts then pop it back in the fridge to chill some more.

Melt caramels with the 2 tablespoons of water and stir until smooth.   Pour over nut layer.  

The top layer is the same as the bottom layer, 1 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 cup butterscotch chips and 1/4 cup of peanut butter.    Smooth over the caramel layer then chill until firm.   

What I Learned:
Once the bars are chilled you may need to take them out of the fridge to "rest" before peeling off the foil and slicing them - the caramel layer especially is really firm.   You need a sharp knife - possibly warmed with hot water and/or greased to cut the bars successfully.    Worst case scenario, the top layer of chocolate comes off one piece and you're forced to eat it. 

What I Am Learning:
People are generous.   If I can use my talents to thank them in a small way for helping eliminate MS, I will.  This is me, baking my way for a cure!


1 comment:

TinaRBK said...

Glad to stop in and see a fellow blogger campaigning for funds for such a great cause. Congrats on the success so far.
Your co-worker did make a fabulous choice, these look amazing. Since I enjoy the manufactured bars, I am sure that the homemade ones are to die for. Your picture is amazing-yum! Saving this recipe-thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...