Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chai Banana Bread


One of the things I like about Sunflower Market is the ability to buy things from the bulk bins.   It could be enough cherry yogurt pretzels for a roadtrip.   Or the 3/4 teaspoon of cardamom that I needed to try this recipe.   Spices are expensive and I don't want to buy a whole container if I'm not going to use them regularly.   So I put what I needed into a little baggy and off I went.  

If chai isn't your thing, try this classic banana bread recipe instead.  If chai is your thing, get baking.   You'll devour this in no time!

What You Need

1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3)
1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
5 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
Cooking spray
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons skim milk

What You Do

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed just until blended. Add sugars; beat at medium just until blended.  Spoon flour into dry measuring cups. Combine flour, soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended.

Combine cardamom and next 3 ingredients. Stir 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture and 1 teaspoon vanilla into batter. Pour into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray (I always line my pan with foil and spray the foil - no cleanup!). Bake at 350° for 65 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan; cool.

Optional icing (I didn't do it, but it sounds good):  Combine remaining spice mixture, remaining vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk. Drizzle over bread.

Recipe Source:  Cooking Light

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...